Caroline Lister has practiced at 1 Kings Bench Walk since qualification in 1980. She was pupil to Barry Singleton QC.
She specialises in all aspects of family law, and has been recommended in Chambers and Partners Directory and The Legal 500 as a leading junior in both financial and children matters for a number of years.
Caroline specifically has long experience and ability in representing her clients in both the main aspects of matrimonial breakdown, financial and children issues. This can be a significant advantage to her clients. She is renowned for her sensitive approach in the more difficult cases.
Caroline regularly appears against Leading Counsel.
Caroline is a trained mediator in family matters
What Chambers and Partners have said about Caroline over the years:
“…. a thoughtful advocate” 2003/4
“….her sympathy is particularly effective in stressful cases” 2005
“….a sensitive and sympathetic figure, especially on cases with a sexual theme” 2006
“…..extremely able and incredibly effective in this difficult area of law” 2007
“….her very clear and no nonsense take on matters wins points with the market” 2008
“ ….“a doughty performer” who puts her head down and fights on”…”Approachable and possessed of sensible judgment” 2009
“….a tenacious childcare specialist who doesn’t give up until she gets what she wants” 2010
“….”equally adept at matrimonial finance and children work”…She wins full market support. “ 2011
“….she receives particular praise for her involvement in leave to remove cases. Sources applaud her thorough preparation and polished advocacy as well as her cool professional manner with clients” 2012
“Another who impresses is Caroline Lister who is recognized for her work on high value financial remedy cases and inheritance matters” 2013
Caroline’s expertise includes complex domestic and international issues arising in financial remedy cases upon divorce and civil partnership breakdown, Schedule 1 issues, inheritance matters, pension cases, pre and post-nuptial arrangements, businesses, trusts and TOLATA applications.
An expert in child abduction, private and public law matters.
Cases of Interest
- Re C (Contact: Moratorium: Change of Gender)  EWCA Civ 1765  1 FLR 1642
- LAMBETH LONDON BOROUGH COUNCIL v S, C, V AND J (BY HIS GUARDIAN); LEGAL SERVICES COMMISSION INTERVENING  EWHC 776 (Fam)  2 FLR 1171
- RE C (ABDUCTION: CONSENT)  1 FLR 414
Appointments & Memberships
- Middle Temple
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
- Member of the Western Circuit
- Recorder from 2003, sitting mostly on the Western Circuit (Crime, Family Private Law and Public Law)
- Family Law Bar Association
- Member of Lawyers for Children
…… on a more personal note….British Eventing and British Dressage
- Beaconsfield High School, Bucks
- Queen Mary College, London University BSc Hons Comparative Physiology and Microbiology, with Mathematics)
- Diploma in Law
- Winston Churchill Prize awarded by Middle Temple