Peter is described in the legal directories as a ‘go-to’ barrister for matrimonial finance cases who is ‘direct and great with figures’. He is consistently ranked as a leading practitioner in the field. Peter has appeared at all levels (including the UK Supreme Court) and his cases regularly involve high net worth or high profile individuals, offshore and corporate/trust structures, and international cases involving disputes over jurisdiction. In 2017 Peter was elected to the National Executive Committee of the Family Law Bar Association.
For a number of years Peter has been ranked in the legal directories as a ‘leading practitioner’ in the field of matrimonial finance and divorce. He is regularly invited to give lectures and take part in ‘podcasts’ in the field of matrimonial finance.
In 2017 the Chambers UK bar directory described Peter as “absolutely meticulous and persuasive. He has an amazingly organised brain, and his work is incredibly well written“. In 2018 the same directory described Peter as a ‘go-to person‘ for matrimonial finance work.
Peter’s cases range from relatively straightforward County Court disputes to very complex and high value matters in the High Court and Court of Appeal. He often appears with, and against, Queen’s Counsel.
Peter specialises in every aspect of family finance, including Schedule I and TOLATA:
- Offshore or complex assets
- Trusts and Intervenors
- Businesses and partnerships
- Jurisdictional disputes
- Inherited or pre-acquired wealth
- Non-disclosure, ‘add back’ and other forms of conduct
- Pre and post nuptial agreements, Xydhias and Rose agreements
- Capitalisation/variation of maintenance and Duxbury calculation.
- Individuals with high profiles and/or net worth
- Freezing injunctions and applications under s.37 MCA 1973
- Charging Orders, Third Party Debt and Attachment of Earnings Orders
- Contested applications for Decree Absolute
- Civil Partnerships
- Schedule I of the Children Act 1989
- Financial relief after foreign divorce (Part III of the MFPA 1984)
- The Maintenance Regulation (EC 4/2009)
- The Inheritance (PFD) Act 1975
- Disputes between cohabitants pursuant to TOLATA 1996
Peter has acted in a number of leading finance cases, such as:
- AA v BB (Application To Set Aside Leave: s.13 MFPA 1984)  EWHC 4210 (Fam)
- L v K (Freezing orders: Principles and Safeguards)  2 WLR 914
- JKN v JCN (divorce: forum)  All ER (D) 69 (May),  EWHC 843 (Fam)
- Brito-Babapulle v Layton  EWCA Civ 1263
Peter is well known for the meticulous and persuasive content of his documents, the direct and robust advice that he gives to clients, and his tenacious advocacy.
As an experienced specialist in matrimonial finance, Peter has considerable experience in advising clients as to the relevant legal issues, and what will be the most likely outcome at a final hearing.
Peter welcomes instructions to provide an ‘early neutral evaluation’, also known as a ‘Private FDR’. The indication will be objective, thoroughly prepared, and delivered in an approachable and user-friendly way.
If you would like to instruct Peter to provide an indication at a Private FDR, please contact the clerks.
Reputation & Awards
Peers praise the way ‘he can have judges onside before he’s even opened his mouth’ due to his meticulous and persuasive draftingCHAMBERS & PARTNERS
Peter is consistently ranked as a ‘leading practitioner’ in matrimonial finance by the legal directories.
Chambers and Partners 2018
‘Widely respected family junior specialising in matters involving complex corporate and offshore trust structures with significant assets. He has particular experience of navigating technical jurisdictional issues. Newman has experience of appearing both led and unled in significant cases. ‘Direct and great with figures, Peter is very much a go-to person when it comes to financial matters and is not afraid to give clients tough advice.’
Chambers and Partners 2017
‘Widely respected family junior specialising in matters involving complex corporate and offshore trust structures with significant assets. He has particular experience of navigating technical jurisdictional issues. He is absolutely meticulous and persuasive. He has an amazingly organised brain, and his work is incredibly well written.’
Chambers and Partners 2016
‘Peers praise the way ‘he can have judges on side before he’s even opened his mouth’ due to his meticulous and persuasive drafting. He advises clients on both matrimonial finance and private children matters including abduction. ‘He is very intelligent and gets to the heart of the case with ease. He is straight-talking and forthright with clients and always prioritises their interests.’
Chambers and Partners 2015
‘His mind can deal with any complexity of problem. He has an academic approach to his submissions which judges find appealing. He has a fighting spirit.’
Awards and Scholarships
Sweet and Maxwell Prize for highest marks in LLB finals.
- Malvern College (Major Scholar)
- BA (Hons) – English and Philosophy
- LLB (Hons) – Law – First class honours
- Inns of Court School of Law (BVC)
- Member of the Honorable Society of the Inner Temple
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association (‘FLBA’)
- Elected to the National Executive Committee of the FLBA
- Accredited Pupil Supervisor (Inner Temple)
- Accredited Advocacy Trainer (Inner Temple)