1KBW has long been committed to the removal of barriers to equality of opportunity in Chambers.
We have expanded our commitment into the effective management of diversity, recognising the need to go beyond mere compliance with existing primary and subordinate legislation that makes certain types of direct and indirect discrimination illegal.
Members of chambers, staff, clerks and administrators will all do their utmost to ensure that no one is discriminated against on any basis, to include:
- ethnic or national origin
- gender or gender reassignment
- age (to include any carer)
- sexual orientation
- marriage or civil partnership
- pregnancy or maternity
- disability (to include any carer)
- religion or belief (including a lack of belief)
- political persuasion
Everyone at 1KBW will do all within their power to seek out and eliminate possible areas of discrimination and to ensure:
- equality of access to all applicants (whether for pupillage, tenancy or employment)
- equality of treatment for all
- equality of service to all professional and lay clients alike
Responsibility for implementation and monitoring of our equal opportunity and diversity policies (reflected in 1KBW’s Equality Code) rests with the Equality Committee, including:
- provision of on going training and refresher courses for all members, clerks and staff
- overseeing and monitoring of procedures for the selection of new pupils, tenants and employees
- monitoring of distribution and allocation of work amongst pupils and junior tenants
- monitoring and addressing issues of under representation
- overseeing the Maternity, Paternity and Other Leave Policy for tenants, pupils, clerks and staff
- overseeing the workings of the Complaints Procedure and internal Grievance Procedure in respect of alleged direct or indirect discrimination, harassment or victimisation.
1 KBW is committed to ensuring that everyone is accorded equal dignity and respect and is judged on merit alone, free from random judgments based on discrimination, prejudice or assumptions about collective characteristics.
Our Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form is available for completion online.