1KBW is pleased to announce the launch of a new lecture series aimed at giving students and graduates the opportunity to learn about family law from members of Chambers and guest speakers.
Each lecture will focus on one area of family law and provide a basic introduction to the legal framework, some key principles, practical considerations, and a Q&A session.
The talks will take place on 14 January 2021 (children proceedings), 28 January 2021 (matrimonial finance) and 4 February 2021 (domestic abuse). They are free to attend, although attendees will need to register in advance. The talks will not be recorded to encourage free discussion.
Children Proceedings – Fully Booked
The first of our lectures is on children proceedings on 14 January 2021 at 6.00pm – 7.15pm, and will take place by Zoom.
- Chair – Andrea Watts (1KBW)
- Parental Responsibility and Child Arrangements Orders – Millicent Benson and Leonie James (1KBW)
- Parental alienation – Kirsty Shearman (guest speaker)
- Public law children proceedings – Rajni Virk (guest speaker)
- International child abduction – Fatima Ismail (guest speaker)
- Litigants in person and McKenzie Friends – Gemma Galletly (guest speaker)
- Q&A with the panel
Matrimonial Finance Proceedings
Registration is now open for our second lecture on matrimonial finance proceedings on 28 January 2021 at 6.00pm – 7.15pm, which will take place by Zoom.
- Chair – Laura Moys (1KBW)
- Matrimonial finance orders and s25 factors – Elle Tait (1KBW)
- Matrimonial finance proceedings in the family court – Tadhgh Barwell O’Connor (1KBW)
- What, exactly, makes you so ‘special’? Examining the role of special contributions in financial remedy proceedings – Kieran Ball (guest speaker)
- Business valuations in the family court – Annabel Hazlitt (guest speaker)
- Art and divorce – Lara Gardiner (guest speaker)
- “A Costly Affair”: Costs in financial remedy proceedings – Leo Graves (guest speaker)
Places are limited so please register early to avoid disappointment.
Registration for the 4 February 2021 will open shortly.