Finance –Charlotte practises in all areas of family finance, including applications for financial remedies following the dissolution of a marriage or civil partnership, applications pursuant to Schedule One of the Children Act 1989 and applications pursuant to TOLATA 1996. She has experience acting as junior counsel in cases concerning high-level assets.
Charlotte also acts and advises in matters connected to financial proceedings, including interim remedies and freezing orders, pre- and post-nuptial agreements and nuptial trusts, and issues pertaining to enforcement.
Charlotte co-authored practice notes for the Practical Law Company on topics including the operation of international nuptial agreements and enforcement of foreign maintenance orders pursuant to the European Maintenance regulation (Council Regulation (EC) No 4/2009).
Private Law Children – Charlotte is frequently instructed to represent parents in disputes concerning issues of contact, residence and parental responsibility. She has experience of cases with an international element, including applications to remove children permanently from the jurisdiction.
Public Law Children/ Wardship – Charlotte acts for parents, children, wider family members and Local Authorities in care and adoption proceedings, and has experience dealing with cases involving allegations of international child trafficking, sexual, physical and emotional abuse, domestic violence, severe neglect and the causation of non-accidental injuries to a child.
Contested divorce/ marital status – Charlotte has been instructed at county court and High Court level to act in cases involving a challenge to marital status, usually following a foreign marriage ceremony of disputed validity. She has experience of the procedure and practice in this technical and increasingly common area of work.
Cases of Interest:
- Galloway v Goldstein  EWHC 60 (Fam);  (Fam). 129;  2 W.L.R. 1003;  1 F.L.R. 1254;  Fam. Law 521 – concerning the validity of a foreign marriage ceremony.
- Re B (Child Evidence)  EWCA Civ 1015 – concerning the evidence of a child within private law proceedings.
- Barnett v Barnett  EWHC 2678 (Fam) – concerning a Part III MFPA 1984 application for financial remedy after overseas divorce.
- Re A (A Patient)  EWCOP 38
- Re A (A Patient) (No 2)  EWCOP 39
Charlotte frequently writes for Family Law Week and co-wrote for Jordans International Children Law Information Portal with Deiniol Cellan-Jones an article on defences to the Hague Convention: http://www.familylawiclip.co.uk/articles/defences-under-articles-12-and-13-a-consent-acquiescence-and-settlement-0
Appointments & Memberships:
- Member of the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Member of the Child Abduction Lawyers Association
Qualifications and Awards:
- Clare College, University of Cambridge: BA (Hons) Social and Political Sciences (Politics) First Class
- City University: Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
- Inns of Court School of Law: Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent).
- Prince of Wales Scholarship (Gray’s Inn, Bar Vocational Course)
- David Karmel Scholarship (Gray’s Inn, Graduate Diploma in Law)
- 2nd place in Lee Essay Prize (Gray’s Inn)
- Clare College Award (Final examinations)