Elizabeth Selman’s practice covers both matrimonial finance and private law children work. She also undertakes Sch. 1 cases. This breadth can provide clients with the significant advantage of retaining her for both potential areas of dispute following marital or relationship breakdown.
Elizabeth is equally at ease with cases involving complex factual disputes or points of law. She has extensive experience in matrimonial finance at all levels but her practice has a particular emphasis on higher net worth clients. A significant part of her practice is private law children work: complex disputes resulting in proceedings for child arrangement orders, international relocation applications, internal relocation cases as well as more discrete specific issue or prohibited steps order applications.
Elizabeth has represented a number of high profile clients and regularly appears with and against leading counsel.
She regularly prepares and delivers lectures in on topics relating to both finance and private law children.
What the directories (Chambers and Partners) say:
“A master of the papers who has complete command of her brief in court. She’s really forthright and not afraid to argue a point if she believes in it.” Chambers and Partners 2016
“Her people skills make her so adept at children work. She is able to put forward and grasp what the client wants to say and is very persuasive.” “She’s very direct when she needs to be, and also very sensitive.” Chambers and Partners 2015
“She has a natural air about her, and her calm and reassuring manner is perfectly suited to nervous clients.” Chambers and Partners 2014
“seriously talented” “tenacious and analytical approach” to family law. Chambers and Partners 2013
Cases of interest:
- MG v FG (Schedule 1 – Application to strike out; Estoppel; Legal Costs Funding  EWHC 1964 (Fam)
- Re J (Costs of Fact-Finding Hearing) EWCA Civ1350  1 FLR 1893
- Re D (Jurisdiction:Programme of Assessment or Therapy)  2 FLR 632
- Re S (Care:Residence:Intervenor)  1 FLR 497
- Leeds City Council v C  1 FLR 269
Appointments and Memberships:
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association
- Former Junior of the South Eastern Circuit
Qualifications and Awards:
- Queen Mary College, University of London (LL.B Hons)
- The Frank and Burriss Gahan Scholarship
- Inner Temple Exhibitioner