Finance – Laura has extensive experience in all areas of matrimonial finance, cohabitation disputes, applications under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 and related enforcement proceedings. Her wide and varied practice ranges from cases involving modest assets to being instructed as junior counsel in multi-million pound disputes.
Having studied modern languages at Oxford before coming to the Bar, Laura is particularly interested in cases with an international dimension; she regularly advises and acts in applications under Part III of the Matrimonial and Family Proceedings’ Act 1984 and was recently involved in proceedings concerning reciprocal enforcement of foreign maintenance orders. Laura also has experience of jurisdictional disputes, defended divorce cases (including those requiring expert evidence on the validity of a marriage) and proceedings in nullity. Laura regularly lectures on current developments in divorce, civil partnership and ancillary relief law.
Private Law Children – Laura’s practice encompasses all aspects of private law proceedings relating to children and she has experience in dealing with complex and intractable contact and residence disputes. Particular areas of expertise are:
- Cases concerning allegations of domestic and sexual abuse of children and adults and serious non-accidental injury;
- Allegations of parental alienation;
- Leave to remove and internal relocation;
- Issues of mental capacity and the Court of Protection;
- Adoption, special guardianship, surrogacy and applications for parental orders.
Public Law Children – Laura acts for local authorities, parents, children and extended family members in care proceedings.
Cases of interest
- A and another and P and others  EWHC 1738 (Fam) (Laura acted for the applicant in a case in which guidance was given regarding the legal status of foreign surrogacy arrangements.)
Appointments & Memberships
- Elected member of the Barristers’ Committee – The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn;
- Gray’s Inn representative for the Bar Retention Working Group;
- Member of the Gray’s Inn Moots Committee;
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association.
- Tonbridge Grammar School;
- Wadham College, University of Oxford: BA(Hons) Modern History and Modern and Medieval Languages (French);
- The College of Law (London): Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction); Bar Vocational Course.
Scholarships and Prizes
- Wadham College Oxford Junior Academic Scholarship;
- Ann Ebsworth Scholarship (Gray’s Inn Junior Scholar, Graduate Diploma in Law);
- Lord Justice Holker Scholarship (Gray’s Inn Junior Scholar, Bar Vocational Course);
- The James Mould Scholarship (Gray’s Inn Senior Scholar);
- The Du Cann prize for advocacy (Gray’s Inn);
- College of Law Prize for Evidence (Bar Vocational Course).
- Fluent in French;
- Conversational level Spanish.