Marcus Fletcher has deliberately sought to maintain a mixed family / criminal law practice.
Marcus Fletcher has a particular interest in public law – care work – and has appeared in complex and lengthy child protection hearings. He recently appeared for the Respondent mother in an 8 day hearing, which included expert evidence from numerous witnesses. He is known for his sensitivity and determination. It is these qualities that make him so suited to this area of work.
Private law (contact, residence, specific issues, prohibited steps and parental responsibility). He has experience in relocation and transfer of residence / intractable contact cases.
In R. v. McCabe  EWCA Crim 313, he represented the client in child abduction proceedings both at first instance and in the Court of appeal. His experience in criminal advocacy also gives him an edge in fact finding hearings.
A mix of prosecution and defence work. Marcus Fletcher has prosecuted high value drug importation cases and associated Proceeds of Crime Act applications. He regularly appears for the Crown Prosecution Service he has been instructed in cases including junior briefs in murder and large scale public disorder cases. For example, R v Grealish and others  EWCA Crim 1095 (large scale football violence).
His cross examination skills have been commended in the Crown Court; and he was called upon to cross examine the appellant in the Court of Appeal authority R v O’Hare  EWCA Crim 471.
Marcus Fletcher is instructed across a spectrum of offences including Murder, Death by Dangerous Driving, Section 18′s, multi-handed cases, child abuse and indecency. He is considered an effective advocate who has good skills with witnesses.
His defence practice includes Courts-Martial both in the UK and abroad. He has represented client’s Indicted through the Calendar of indecency / sexual offences, violence, dishonesty and others.
Cases of Interest:
- R v Grealish and others  EWCA Crim 1095
- R v O’Hare  EWCA Crim 471
Appointments & Memberships:
- Elected Junior of the Sussex Bar Mess in 2007 -2012
- Former Member of the Lincoln’s Inn Disciplinary Committee
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association
- Member of the Criminal Bar Association
- Member of the Association of Military Court Advocates
- Member of the South Eastern Circuit
- Appointed Pupil Supervisor 1997
- Appointed to the Attorney General’s Unified List 2002
- CPS grade 3 prosecutor and Rape Panel specialist
- Appointed internal examiner for the then City of London Polytechnic
- Marshalled with Mr Justice Wright and Blofeld J (former presiding Judges for SE Circuit)
- City Polytechnic BA (Hons) Law