Anna is a KC specialising in private and public law children cases. Anna deals with domestic and international relocation and contact issues and adoption, disputes as to living arrangements and all aspects of parenting including disputes relating to medical, religious, education, and name or identity issues. In her public law work Anna is renowned for successfully managing complex cases involving child deaths, NAI, FII, Child Trafficking and sexual abuse and is highly experienced acting for parents, children and local authorities.
Anna has a wide experience acting for high profile private individuals, public bodies, victims and perpetrators of sexual and physical abuse and CAFCASS.
Anna is highly experienced in all aspects of private law children work including:
- domestic and international relocation
- intractable and alienation contact issues
- adoption, domestic and international
- disputes as to living & care arrangements
- disputes relating to medical intervention,
- disputes relating to religious upbringing, (including so-called extreme religions or cults)
- disputes relating to education, and
- name or identity issues.
Private Law Children cases of interest
- AS v TH (False Allegations of Abuse)  EWHC 532 (Fam)
- V (A Child), Re Court of Appeal (Civil Division), 19 November 2013  EWCA Civ 1649
In her public law work Anna is renowned for successfully managing complex cases involving child deaths, NAI, FII, Child Trafficking and sexual abuse and is highly experienced acting for parents, children and local authorities. Anna has a wide experience acting for public bodies, victims and perpetrators of sexual and physical abuse and CAFCASS.
The areas of work includes
- alleged child sexual abuse, recent and historic and ‘paedophile rings’;
- cases concerning severe physical injury or death,
- cases with highly complex medical evidence, FII, fractures, bone and/or genetic complications;
- alleged domestic abuse, forced marriage; child trafficking;
- allegations of witchcraft/ritual abuse
- neglect and alleged alcohol or illegal substance misuse
Public Law Children cases of interest
- Re C (Female Genital Mutilation and Forced Marriage Fact Finding)  EWHC 3449 (Fam)
- A Local Authority v X & Ors  EWHC 874( diplomatic immunity)
- M (A Child)  EWCA Civ 2445
- M-F (Children)  EWCA Civ 991 (15 July 2014) View case notes
- B (A Child) (Care Proceedings: Appeal), Re Supreme Court, 12 June 2013  UKSC 33;  H.R.L.R. 29;  3 All E.R. 929;  2 F.L.R. 1075;  2 F.C.R. 525;  1 W.L.R. 1911;  Fam. Law 946; (2013) 157(24) S.J.L.B. 37 View case notes
- L (A Child) (Interim Care Order: Extended Family), Re Court of Appeal (Civil Division), 13 March 2013  EWCA Civ 179;  2 F.L.R. 302;  Fam. Law 672; (2013) 157(11) S.J.L.B. 31 View case notes
Anna’s children work includes cases with international disputes including child abduction, applications under the Hague Convention, applications for permission to relocate and decisions about a child’s habitual residence.
Reputation & Awards
“Anna has an incredible court presence. She knows what will and won't work with judges and knows how to push home a point in support of a client's position.”CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS 2024
“Anna McKenna is just incredible and someone who fights her client’s corner more than anybody. She looks very gentle and kind but will tear the other side to shreds if need be.” – Chambers & Partners, 2024
“Anna is a trusted expert, who delivers succinct and accessible advice in the most complex matters.” – Chambers & Partners, 2024
“Anna demonstrates a profound understanding of the nuances of private child litigation, bringing to bear her extensive experience in the public sphere. She fits seamlessly into any team and is a supremely accessible silk to work with.” – Legal 500, 2024
“Anna is a superb advocate who advises with wisdom and empathy.” “Anna McKenna is a very accomplished advocate who is strong in cross-examination. She really gets the details of the case and uses them to excellent effect. She’s robust and stands up for her client.” – Chambers & Partners, 2023
“Anna is superb silk for children work. She is effective, good on her feet and is reassuring with clients, particularly for anxious and vulnerable clients. She is intuitive and robust when needed and a very good team player.” – Legal 500, 2023
“Anna does everything with considerable charm and persuasiveness, getting everyone on board.” “She offers amazing client service, out-of-this-world advocacy and spot-on advice.” – Chambers & Partners, 2021
‘Anna is bold, fearless and (in my experience) always right! Her instincts and her intellect are razor sharp and clients feel safe with her.’ – Legal 500, 2021
“A brilliant silk and a joy to work with, she’s calm, sensible and considered. Her submissions are clever, well thought out and carry great weight.” – Chambers & Partners, 2020
“Her bedside manner, written work and advocacy are out of this world. She’s committed to her client’s case and will fight their corner harder than anyone else.” – Chambers & Partners, 2020
Anna is ranked as a leading practitioner in Legal 500. Peer professionals say of Anna
‘An excellent barrister for children’s cases. Charming and persuasive but tough when required. However nightmarish the case, there’s a sense of relief when she’s on your side.’ and ‘She eloquently delivers sound, focused arguments and is a woman of great dynamism.’ – a professional clieint
‘She’s just brilliant. She’s a fantastic advocate who is able to maintain sympathy for whoever she is examining but also get the evidence she wants. She’s a really excellent advocate, who is lovely with clients and very child-focused.’ – Chambers & Partners 2018, New Silk
- Leeds University (1992 2.1 BA Hons Economics and History)
- College of Law (1993 CPE)
- Bar Vocational School (1994).
- Family Law Bar Association
- Honourable Society of the Middle Temple