A member of Chambers since 1981, Caroline has been recognised for many years as a highly skilled and successful practitioner with very wide experience.
Caroline specialises in both high net worth and complex financial remedy cases, including advising in legal negligence cases for parties and insurers.
Caroline also specialises in all aspects of cases involving children, including international and domestic relocation, abduction and complex child arrangements.
Appointed a Recorder in 2003, she sits regularly in public law, private law and financial remedy on the Western Circuit, most often in Bristol and Exeter.
Caroline is available to conduct Private FDR hearings. Caroline is also an experienced mediator in cases involving children and money, or both.
This broad practice allows Caroline to represent a client in all aspects of their case. Caroline also has a practice in Gibraltar and travels to the province for family and finance cases.
Financial remedy at all levels of complexity. Inheritance, trusts, company issues. Schedule 1 work. Able to manage the interface with children work so as to provide a full service to an individual client on family breakdown. A particular interest in advising in legal negligence for parties and insurers.
Multiple cases involving conduct issues, abuse, expert instruction and analysis, parental alienation, brokering agreements and child arrangements.
Relocation to international and domestic locations is a specialty, including Australia, Europe, Canada, Brazil, USA, Japan and other countries.
Able to manage the interface between child centred work and financial remedy work so as to provide a full service to an individual client on family breakdown.
Multiple cases, domestic and international, conducted in this area. Often the initial instruction is received in an emergency situation requiring rapid and accurate advice and representation.
Experienced in Court of Protection work and currently conducting a High Court matter listed in conjunction with an associated Court of Protection matter.
Caroline takes a few public law cases each year which are of particular interest. She frequently sits as a Recorder in public law and finds this judicial experience to be very helpful in dealing with these difficult cases as an advocate.
Qualified to mediate in all family matters, including financial remedy and issues involving children.
As an experienced Recorder and practitioner, Caroline is available to conduct Private FDR hearings.
Reputation & Awards
'an excellent advocate, and has a good analytical mind. ’Legal 500 2020
Chambers & Partners
- ‘Caroline is a fantastic advocate, who’s great on her feet and very knowledgeable.” – 2020
- ‘Lister is at home with Schedule 1 cases and other complex financial issues, including those relating to assets and inheritance. She also has experience in child arrangement orders and education matters.’ – 2020
- ‘Very good with the detail, user–friendly and always contactable. She fights her corner very hard and she’s good with clients as well. Things don’t faze her.’ – 2018
- ‘Caroline is a talented advocate who builds an excellent working relationship with her clients. She is immensely skilled at dealing with clients who are experiencing emotional difficulties’ – 2018
- ‘Caroline has a broad practice covering both high net worth ancillary relief and domestic and international private children cases. Recognised for skilful handling of particularly acrimonious proceedings. Caroline is at home with complex financial issues including those relating to trusts, pensions and inheritance.’ – 2018
- Highly skilled in both money and children cases and ‘recognised for her skilful handling of particularly acrimonious proceedings.’ – 2017
- ‘Has a broad practice covering both high net worth ancillary relief and international private children cases. She is recognised for her skilful handling of particularly acrimonious proceedings.’ – 2017
- ‘She fights very hard, and is poised and articulate. She can be quite tough and is very secure in her handling of a judge.’ – 2017
- ‘Caroline is a talented advocate who builds an excellent working relationship with her clients. She is immensely skilled at dealing with clients who are experiencing emotional difficulties’ – 2016
- ‘Another who impresses is Caroline Lister who is recognized for her work on high value financial remedy cases and inheritance matters’ – 2013
- ‘she receives particular praise for her involvement in leave to remove cases. Sources applaud her thorough preparation and polished advocacy as well as her cool professional manner with clients’ – 2012
- ‘equally adept at matrimonial finance and children work’…She wins full market support. ‘ – 2011
- ‘a tenacious childcare specialist who doesn’t give up until she gets what she wants’ – 2010
- ‘Tackles difficult issues head on, and has very good judgement. ’ – 2020
- ‘an excellent advocate, and has a good analytical mind. ’ – 2020
- ‘A first port of call for international relocation cases, and a considered and robust advocate’ – 2018
Awards and Scholarships
Winston Churchill Award, Middle Temple
- Beaconsfield High School
- Queen Mary College, London University: BSc in Comparative Physiology and Microbiology [with Pure Mathematics]
- Legal studies followed via Diploma in Law
- Middle Temple