“The set’s much-lauded juniors are particularly strong”
“Impressive collection of juniors…always good on their feet”
Pupillage at 1KBW
1KBW offers two specialist family law pupillages each year. Each pupillage is full time and for twelve months. During the twelve months each pupil will be allocated to three different pupil supervisors, each of whom will be a specialist family law practitioner.
Pupils will have the opportunity see a wide range of family law work including matrimonial finance and private and public law children cases. There may also be an opportunity to observe advocacy in the criminal courts and to undertake some marshalling.
1KBW has a reputation for recruiting the most talented pupils and then providing training and support that is second to none. We proactively try to recruit our tenants from our pupils. In the last decade 17 of the 20 pupils in chambers have been offered tenancy. For that reason, our selection procedure is rigorous.
We offer each pupil a (tax free) grant of £25,000 which is paid during the first 6 months. In addition, pupils may retain any income which they earn in the second six months. The reputation of 1KBW is such that our pupils are regularly briefed from the outset.
The first six months (non-practising) are divided between two pupil supervisors, and the second six months (practising period) is spent with a third. Chambers also provides ‘in-house’ advocacy training.
“Pupillage at 1KBW means learning first hand from practitioners who are shaping family law today. Monthly advocacy training sessions and frequent feedback from pupil supervisors ensure that you will be ready to manage your own cases in the second six. 1KBW is a very welcoming set and its members go out of their way to involve and support the pupils” – a current pupil at 1KBW
The Application Process
1KBW is no longer within the Pupillage Gateway (formerly OLPAS) system although our applications procedure follows the Pupillage Gateway summer timetable, as approved by the Bar Council and we also make offers according to that timetable.
- As from March 4th 2014 applicants for pupillage commencing October 2015 will be able to access the 1kbw online application form in pdf format. Please also download our ‘Notes for Pupillage Applicants‘ (please download both using either Internet Explorer or Firefox).
- On April 1st 2014 the submissions window for applications opens.
- On April 30th 2014 at 11.00 the submissions window for applications closes. No further applications or amendments to applications will be accepted.
- First and second round interview offers are sent out and interviews are conducted.
- Offers of pupillage will be made on August 1st 2014.
Who should apply?
We look for pupils with excellent academic ability and personal attributes.
Applicants must have at least a 2:1 degree, and in addition demonstrate a commitment to the Bar, an impressive academic or employment history, and an interest in the particular specialisms of chambers.
Our successful candidates tend to be confident, articulate and interesting individuals with the right aptitude for life at the Bar.
The best candidates will be invited for an interview conducted by a panel representing a cross-section of members of chambers. The top candidates at interview will be shortlisted for a second round of interviews following which offers will be made. No prior preparation or written work is required, and undertaking a mini-pupillage with us is not a prerequisite to a successful application.
The Selection Committee screens applications for evidence of:
- Good academic record (at least a 2:1 degree);
- Application presentation;
- Other achievements / work experience;
- Suitability as a pupil at 1kbw;
- Firm commitment to a career at the Bar;
- An interest in family law
Equal opportunities policy
1 King’s Bench Walk operates an Equal Opportunities Policy. For more information please contact Sue Gray, Chambers Director. We have a firm commitment to Equality and Diversity.
For more information please download the 1kbw Pupillage Leaflet.