Max is a specialist in all aspects of family law. Max has advised and acted at all levels up to the High Court (most recently in a lengthy hearing involving a dispute as to jurisdiction).
During pupillage, Max’s supervisors were Peter Newman, Nicholas Anderson and Victoria Green. Max therefore gained experience of all aspects of family law, including complex matrimonial finance cases and public/private children work at all levels up the Court of Appeal. For example, Max assisted Nicholas Anderson and Nigel Dyer QC in R v B and Capita Trustees  EWFC 33, a case involving issues of litigation misconduct and complex off-shore company and trust structures with assets approaching £100m.
Prior to joining 1 King’s Bench Walk, Max held visiting lectureships in Contract Law and the Law of Trusts at King’s College London.
Financial Remedies and Divorce – Max practises in all areas of family finance, frequently involving property, companies and trusts, including:
- Financial remedies following the dissolution of a marriage or civil partnership;
- Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989;
- TOLATA 1996 and issues relating to cohabitation disputes;
- Interim remedies and freezing orders;
- Pre- and post-nuptial agreements;
- Nuptial trusts/settlements;
- Jurisdiction; and,
- Contested divorce/marital status.
Private Law Children – Max is frequently instructed to represent parents in children disputes concerning issues of contact, residence, relocation and parental responsibility. He also has a particular interest in cases where jurisdiction is in issue and was recently instructed in a forum dispute between the Cayman Islands and England and Wales.
Child Abduction – Max appears in the High Court in cases involving international child abduction.
Public Law Children – Max acts for all parties in care and adoption proceedings.
Domestic Violence and Injunctions – Max has experience of acting in all stages of Family Law Act proceedings.
Appointments and Memberships
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Family Law Bar Association
- International Association of Young Lawyers
- Lincoln’s Inn Junior Members’ Association
Education, Scholarships and Prizes
- University of Bristol: LLB (Hons) Law (2.1)
- University of Law: BPTC (Very Competent)
- Lincoln’s Inn: Sunley Scholar
- Lincoln’s Inn: Hardwicke Scholar
- Lincoln’s Inn: Accommodation Award
- Kaplan Law School and University of Law: Advocacy Scholarships
- Inns of Court Society Moot Champion 2015