A specialist family law barrister, Max’s work includes family finance (including TOLATA), divorce proceedings, private and international children cases and jurisdiction disputes.
He has advised and acted at all levels up to the High Court and is equally comfortable on his own and as junior counsel.
Prior to joining 1 King’s Bench Walk, Max held visiting lectureships in Contract Law and the Law of Trusts at King’s College London.
Max practises in all areas of family finance, frequently involving property, companies and trusts, including:
- Financial remedies following the dissolution of a marriage or civil partnership;
- Cohabitation and TOLATA disputes;
- Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989;
- Interim remedies and freezing orders;
- Confidentiality and disclosure issues;
- Pre- and post-nuptial agreements;
- Enforcement; and,
- Contested divorce/marital status.
Of note, he was instructed as 2nd junior to Richard Harrison QC and Deepak Nagpal in the widely publicised Aziz litigation, a dispute involving alleged assets in excess of £1bn and issues of off-shore trust structures, contested marital status, pre-acquired wealth and special contribution.
During pupillage, Max also assisted Nicholas Anderson and Nigel Dyer QC in R v B and Capita Trustees  EWFC 33,  3 FCR 519, a case involving issues of litigation misconduct, complex off-shore company & trust structures and assets approaching £100m.
Max appears in the High Court in cases involving international child abduction.
Max is frequently instructed to represent parents in disputes over contact, residence, internal and international relocation and parental responsibility.
He has a particular interest in cases where jurisdiction is in issue and was recently instructed in a forum dispute between the Cayman Islands and England & Wales and a multi-day jurisdiction dispute in the High Court.
Max acts for all parties in care and adoption proceedings.
Reputation & Awards
“He is always extremely well-prepared, bright, responsive and tenacious in court. He is also very friendly and good at reassuring the client from an early stage. He has a no-nonsense approach and is clear and direct with a client so they know exactly what to expect in court.”Solicitor, Stone Rowe Brewer
‘An extremely talented barrister who quickly familiarises himself with detailed information. Max is charismatic, assertive and robust in his approach, yet also empathetic and sensitive towards the needs of the client. A good negotiator with excellent people skills that set him apart as a leader in his field. Highly recommended.’ – Consultant Solicitor, Setfords
‘I was impressed by Max’s thorough and attentive preparation of the case and helpful approach before and after the hearing, and the client was pleased with the outcome and Max’s calm and reassuring approach at court’ – Solicitor, Jones Nickolds
‘For my part, I thought he was thoroughly prepared for our conference and I was impressed with his excellent client manner. Whilst I was not able to attend court with him on this occasion, the feedback I received was all positive, so I thank Max for his hard work.’ – Solicitor, RadcliffesLeBrasseur
‘Max works hard, is highly effective in court and is excellent with clients. He is passionate and thorough when solving legal problems and valiant in fighting for the client’s cause.’ – Solicitor, Vickers
‘Max represented a client of mine in a private children matter, he secured the client’s trust and confidence from their initial meeting, which was only on the morning of the court hearing. Max listened to the client’s concerns and was compassionate and reassuring. When in court he portrayed the client’s position convincingly and got the judge onside. After just brief submissions the Judge made the interim order we were seeking’ – Associate, Pinney Talfourd
Awards and Scholarships
- University of Law: Advocacy Scholar
- University of Law: Ranked 2nd in year for Advocacy Allocation.
- Kaplan Law School: Advocacy Scholar
- Lincoln’s Inn: Sunley Scholar
- Lincoln’s Inn: Hardwicke Scholar
- Lincoln’s Inn: Accommodation Award
- Inns of Court Society: Moot Champion 2015
- University of Bristol: LLB (Hons) Law
- University of Law: BPTC (Very Competent) – Outstanding in Litigation, Resolution of Disputes Outside of Court and Cross-Examination
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Family Law Bar Association
- Resolution’s Brexit Working Party
- International Association of Young Lawyers (“AIJA”)
- Society of Advanced Legal Studies (Associate Fellow)
- Child Abduction Lawyers’ Association (Associate Member)
- Lincoln’s Inn Denning Society
He is an author of 1KBW on Trusts in Matrimonial Finance Proceedings and a contributor to Jackson’s Matrimonial Finance.