A defence advocate who undertakes serious criminal work in the UK and abroad. The breadth of practice includes all forms of homicide, white collar fraud, sexual offences and medical defence work. He has established a reputation for thorough preparation and penetrating cross examination. In reported cases in the Court of Appeal he has been involved in leading cases concerning mens rea in offences involving the misuse of drugs, public interest immunity and in 2011 the Guideline case setting tariffs for sentences involving fraud. Recent high profile cases have included representing doctors charged with gross negligence manslaughter and cases involving historic allegations of sexual assault.
Regular entrant in Chambers & Partners as ‘leader’ in the field of criminal law over the past 10 years.
Significant reported Crime cases include:
- R. v. Bett  1 Cr.App.R. 361-‘mens rea’ drugs offences
- R. v. Lewis  Crim L.R. 796 – Public Interest Immunity
- R. v. Yates  1 Cr.App.R. (S.) 15 – Guidelines Mortgage Fraud
Recent cases which have attracted wide publicity include:
- R v Dr Latheef 2015 [indecent assault]
- R v Dr Bawa Garba 2015 [gross negligence manslaughter]
- GMC v Dr Adam Osborne 2016 [MPT] and
- GMC v Dr Bawa Garba  [appeal re: sanction]
Criminal Defence work
Awards and Scholarships
UK Bar Chambers
- University of Warwick LLB (hons)
- Kinston Grammar School
- South Eastern Circuit and Criminal Bar Association
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
Apart from criminal cases, Julian Woodbridge also defends doctors before the Medical Practitioners’ Tribunal and the Performers’ List Panel.